Saturday, January 11, 2014

Running Journal 4

The break in the weather offered me an opportunity to run, so I couldn't pass it up. It was warm and a bit raining today after several days of intense cold that coincided with a week of long workdays with little respite save eating and sleeping, so I was due. The sun actually came out a couple of times. In Central Ohio. In January.

So it came as no surprise that my knees hurt as I slowly - slowly - jogged up the bike trail, but it did surprise me a bit that the pain did not go away, as it did the last time I ran, even though I took it slowly the first mile, hung a right at Old County Line Road, and took care to alter my gait every half mile or so, and tried to be patient. No luck. Maybe less distance more often would ease the transition for my medial collateral ligaments. Cut it short at about 2.5 miles at roughly the same pace I've been running, 12-minute miles.

Maybe the cool-down will help. Ice pack on both knees and some moderate stretching for hips, back, and shoulders, but less lateral rotation to take the stress off the knees. As my own doctor, I prescribed vodka and orange juice, crackers and brie, and a turkey burger. Then I watched a pretty good movie with Tina Fey and Paul Rudd, "Admissions" with elevated legs on the coffee table, and noticed that my knees don't hurt. Note to self: repair torn ligaments with a screwdriver.

No comments: