Sunday, January 19, 2014

Running Journal 5

Good news, bad news. Beautiful sunny day in January, although it's a bit cold, I'll take it. Had a nice walk to the cafe and church in the morning, only took half an hour to shovel the walk, and the rest was gravy. Read the paper, finish the book I've been reading for an eternity, start another book I've been itching to get into, and it's even better than I anticipated. By 5 o'clock I realize it's now or never, so strap it on and go.

Heel and toe for the first half mile, just trying to get into a rhythm and not do any damage. Once I'm warmed up, I switched to a toe-heel gait, totally different but pain free, so I just stayed with it for another couple of miles, cautiously making the turn to come back and staying on the soft surface of grass and snow every chance I got. Tuna half miles with no pain to speak of, again, I'll take it.

Cool-down was great, with an ice pack on one knee at a time, lying on my back on the mat upstairs, rotating both hips outward and inward, rotating both ankles in circles to release the leftover effects of half an hour of effort and let the muscles and joints recover. Actually drifted off into a nice nap for a few minutes, got up, got dressed, came downstairs, started a fire, mixed a drink and made guacamole before dinner.

After the endorphins, the fact remains that running once a week is not enough to have a training effect, and I have to find a way to get my New Balance butt out there more often. As in work-life balance, as in leaving the office at 5 like regular, rational people. 




No comments: