Sunday, January 26, 2014

Running Journal 6

Good news, good news.

I ran 4 miles, and my knees didn't hurt at all.

It was not an ideal day for a run, but I think the 8 inches of snow that fell in the last 24 hours was actually an advantage. I mean aside from the fact that it gave me a reason to go outside and shovel fluffy white powder not once but twice during a single weekend. Several inches of soft snow underfoot was the perfect cushion for a nice, slow jog up the bike trail and back.Rather than being an encumbrance, it actually freed me up to run with almost no impact on the joint.

Common sense and a healthy dose of paranoia still dictated an hour or so of stretching with an ice pack strapped to my right knee, followed by a vodka tonic for additional pain management. You can't be too careful. 

The fact remains that once a week is not a workout schedule that will build strength, endurance, speed, or aerobic capacity. You know what? I don't care. I'm able to run. At least when there's 8 inches of snow on the ground. 

No comments: