Sunday, March 16, 2014

Running Journal 11

A break in the weather, a four-day weekend, daylight savings time - sounds to me like a recreational running opportunity. And I have reason to be grateful for the renewed ability to run - okay, it's really more of a jog - without knee pain. So why do I feel like I'm stuck at four 12-minute miles?

Is stuck too strong a word? Maybe I've plateaued, found a rhythm, established a base, or some other euphemism for stagnation due to running once a week. At what point does a groove become a rut? And everybody knows that nobody improves much by working out once a week.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's better than nothing. I could have been sitting on the couch watching basketball. Sorry, that line doesn't work on a phys. ed. major. However, I acknowledge that the quality of those four miles is getting better, and I'm doing it on dry pavement now, not six inches of powder, and I'm steadfastly resisting the urge to stride out faster and farther and do some real damage. So I guess I'll take it, all 48 minutes of it. 

No comments: